These are example exam questions from the motor cortex section of the course.
1. Describe the modular organization of the spinal cord: implications for the control of movement.
2. Describe in detail each step from seeing a glass of water to drinking from that glass.
- Start with "seeing the glass," then proceed to how movement is planned and directed (including motor and sensory innervation).
- Describe the firing pattern of neurons at each step along the process to reaching and bringing the glass to your lips.
- List in detail the firing patterns of the lips, tongue and throat, swallowing, and finally setting the glass back down on the table.
- Distinguish between voluntary and involuntary movements; also describe the point at which involuntary movements are initiated by voluntary action.